NEWNAN, Georgia // Grandpa Shular passed peacefully in his sleep on January 19, 2016. He was a wonderful grandfather, father, husband, brother, and soldier. He would have done anything for his family and he will live on in our memories and in the stories we tell.
We have had doubts about quitting our jobs // about our big year // but after grandpa passed I know for certain this is exactly where we are supposed to be. Our time in Georgia with him are now priceless moments // the stories he shared about his life // the smiles and laughs // his advice, “Just enjoy life as it comes at you.”
I encourage everyone reading this to take the time to interview your grandparents and record it. I guarantee you will not regret it. Below are a few of the questions we had prepared. I hope they inspire you. The time is now as you never know when you may lose the opportunity to do it.
- What’s your full name?
- When and where were you born?
- What were your parents names?
- What do you remember about your parents?
- What was your childhood like?
- What was a typical dinner like?
- Did you have any day to day chores?
- Where there any holiday traditions?
- How did you meet each other?
- What was your first date?
- Did your parents approve?
- When did you get married?
- How long have you been married?
- What are your kids like?
- What was it like being a parent?
- What are you most proud of?
- If you could go back would you change anything?
- Do you have any advice for us?
Dedicated to Grandpa Shular 1931-2016